Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Little River Canyon, Fort Payne Alabama

I slept in a bit and missed my 7:00 departure time, but was able to get the kick stand up by 7:30 and reach Alabama by 6:30. It was a little colder than I expected on the ride up – not cold enough to get a deep chill but still enough that you were looking out for that next sunny patch of road.




Early this Spring I decided to make a list of ten Summer destinations. I was tired of spending the day before a trip trying to figure out where to go and figured a little early planning might help this tiresome routine. The last trip to The Big House was on the list and this trip to the Little River Canyon in Fort Payne was also on the list. I ended up riding up 431 in Alabama past Cheaha, which I found difficult to pass without motoring through the mountainous roads or enjoying the many hikes and views. I followed 431 until I hit 9, which took me through a very large lake region as I continued North. Although beautiful, the overcast morning would have made for poor pictures – so I throttled on until I reached the falls at the beginning of route 176.




I parked the big in the open parking lot that also contained a few cars, left the leather on, and headed down the walkway to the falls. The falls area was open and you could walk out on the rocks or sit on a ledge, which I did while I enjoyed a snack and peaceful scene. Other than a couple other people wandering in and out, I had the area to myself. After a period of rest I donned the helmet and took off down 176.





Route 176 hugs the canyon and has about ten scenic stops along the way. The first gave a nice view back at the falls and the river running along the bottom of the canyon. The road was full of dips, hills and twists and turns. I wasn’t familiar with the road so I took my time and enjoyed a stretch of pavement devoid of all other vehicles. I did see a few more cars later in the day but for the most part I had the part to myself. Each stop showcased a deep canyon created by a running river and surrounded by lush trees and high cliffs. There were birds soaring over the canyon and I was able to get pretty close to a vulture perched on the railing of the overlook. After reaching the final stop, I turned around and went back to the falls. There was one stop along the way that had an unnatural gathering of rocks that looked completely alien to the rest of the setting. One of the rocks was left in the middle of the road and parted the lanes.





My longest trips have been around 250 miles round trip. I have discovered that at this point my body is tired and my riding is compromised. When I purchased my Fat Bob, I bought a removable windshield. I rode the bike home with the windshield and found the turbulence of the wind wobbled my helmet in continuous manner, much like a paint mixing machine, that was hard to ignore. So, I got home and put the windshield in the closet. I’ve been told that I could ride farther with a windshield so I decided to try it out again on this ride. I hiked it up as high as it would go hoping that this would help with the turbulence. The shake didn’t seem too bad during the trip, but it was still there, but my visibility suffered as I was looking through a slightly reflective sheet of plastic that would occasionally fog up as I drove through the high humidity of the Deep South. In the end, I did ride for almost 300 miles and the fatigue wasn’t there the way it had been in the past.



Many people ride while listening to an iPod. I have avoided this because I enjoy the peaceful sounds of the Harley tooling down the road. This time around I decided to try the iPod so I put on The Zac Brown Band and hit genius mix – the iPod will then automatically create a mixed playlist based on the original songs style. I ended up with a mix of older country type songs and couldn’t hear the songs while riding. I tried kicking up selection by throwing in a mix of harder rock songs. The effect was pretty much the same. I could barely make out what was playing while riding and it was too loud when I stopped. After about an hour of this annoyance (86 miles to be more precise), I removed the iPod and embraced the music of the big twin cruising through Alabama. The iPod has gone back into retirement while riding.




On longer runs, I find that the middle of my back gets very sore. This usually occurs a little over midway through the trip, but this time it started to hurt at beginning of the run. I think it had more to do with my posture than anything else. I’d like to get some ape bars in the future and have been told that they will ease the pressure on the back and make for a more comfortable ride. This will probably not happen until next year, if then.



When I got back to the falls, I shed the leather and grabbed the lunch my lovely wife, Elizabeth, packed for me. After calling Elizabeth and enjoying the sound of falling water, I once again hit the pavement. Instead of taking the same route home, I decided to cut over into Georgia and head down 100. After traveling down this road for a pace, it became evident that this was a road that was well utilized by the truckers. I have utmost respect for those driving the big rigs and enjoyed sharing the road with them as I made my way back toward LaGrange.




It is about a week later and I have since removed the windshield from my bike. The difference was night and day once I got back on the road. The windshield was nice in that I didn’t get as tired and I wasn’t hit in the face once with debris or by flying bugs, but I also found it confining and a visual obstruction. I will probably put it on for trips in excess of 200 miles but it will stay in the closet for anything else.

I did end up running on fumes at the end and almost ran out of gas again, but I’m not going to talk about that. The next run will be in June and, weather permitting, T (my oldest) and I will be heading to Charleston SC for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment