Saturday, September 11, 2010

Cloudland Canyon

I planned out an ambitious bike trip earlier this week. This was ambitious for me because it would be my longest day trip and would include riding on the interstate, which I hadn't done in the two years I'd been riding.


I had heard good things about Cloudland Canyon, GA and for one reason or another, we haven't been able to make it up there. It is a long drive and something else usually gets in the way.



Googlemaps told me that it would take me 3.5 hours to get there and that is exactly what I needed. It was a good ride, but I was pretty cold for most of the trip. I threw on a flannel thinking that it would help, but it didn't do the trick. Other than the cold, the trip up was uneventful. I did ride on I-75, but there was so little traffic that I didn't really consider it riding on the interstate.


I parked at the top of the canyon and the view above is the first that I saw.


The path down into the canyon to the waterfalls was very easy. It consisted of metal stairs, wooden walkways and flat dirt trails - such as above.


Above is the first set of water falls. As I got closer, I got nervous because I didn't hear any water. When I got there I realized that it may have been better to make this trip in the Spring rather than the fall.


Above is the river bed that signs told us to avoid because of slippery rocks and danger of falling in the water. I managed to stay dry.


The area was very peaceful. I saw two people coming down when I was leaving and that was the only time I saw anyone other than the people working at the park.



Below is the second set of water falls, which was fed from the first set.



The leaves haven't started to change in LaGrange and it was nice to see the colors as I walked around.



Below is the walk down to the overlook that gives you a good view of the entire canyon.


Most of the life I saw consisted of squirrels getting ready for winter.




My bike ended up with 9,980 miles by the time the trip was over. I knew that I was close to getting my 10,000 miles maintenance check and that I also needed a new back tire. I had planned on stopping at Great South Harley on the way back but didn't plan on getting the work done that day, which I did. I got there around 3:30 and they finished at 6:00. I didn't mind staying at the dealership for 2.5 hours, but it is a dangerous place to hang out.


Mentally, I think I spent a few thousand as I customized my bike visualizing the things on the wall on my faithful stead. I planned out all new foot controls, hand controls, replacement chrome parts and various other accessories. I didn't get any of these, but I did end up getting a new skull gas cap and a Harley addition to the back of the sissy bar.



The trip totaled 370 miles and I rode on I-75, I-285 (through Atlanta) and on I-85. The interstate riding wasn't bad at all, even Atlanta, which had me a little nervous. It was fun just leaning back and cruising along with all the folks in their cages. I left at 7:00 in the morning and got back home at 7:00 in the evening. It was a full day but I felt awesome as I parked the bike in the garage.

In the beginning of the summer, I wrote down 10 destinations. I have hit 5 of them and would like to hit a few more before the weather turns.

No comments:

Post a Comment