Thursday, August 27, 2009

Road to Helen - GA State HOG Rally 2009

Here is the path. I only took one wrong turn on the way up, which isn't bad considering all the zip zags along the way. I left at 6:30am and got to Helen around 12:00. The trip was a little shy of 250 miles.





Here is the big concern for the weekend. I was being chased by the rain out of LaGrange - it was moving North. I did manage to get to Helen before the rain, but it has been raining most of the afternoon. We will see what tomorrow brings.


It is pretty hilly where I live in Georgia, but when traveling North you reach this point where you come over the hill and see the mountains. This picture gives you an idea but it really doesn't do it justice.



The ride up was a little cool, which was perfect considering I was wearing my leather and had no place to put it if I did want to take it off. I road through a small town called Tate which appeared to have lots of nice things to see. This is a railroad station that they are going to be moving and restoring. There were also some nice houses in town that I didn't get a chance to really look at.





I drove across a bridge and saw a nice stream and decided to stop. There was a parking spot and a wooden path that lead down to the water and continued both up and down the stream. It was a beautiful little find. I hung out here for awhile and had 1st lunch.





I got into Helen and registered for the ralley. Unfortunately, I had to wait until two before I could get the room. I walked around some and then hung out in the room while it rained.





They are having the opening cerimonies tonight at 8:00 and it is 7:52 so I'll be headin' over there now.












No comments:

Post a Comment