Sunday, August 16, 2009

Talladega Morning

Elizabeth and I can travel in about a 100 mile radius from our house on our Friday road trips. I think I might try to stretch it out to 150 in the near future. This week we went to Talladega. I've driven by it many times and decided to see what is up there.

On the way up we pulled over in the parking lot of a power company office so Elizabeth could fix her glasses. One of the men working there came out to talk with us. He has a Sportster and is looking at stepping up to a larger bike so he and his wife can take road trips. So often I feel rushed to get where I'm going or to finish what I'm doing and it was nice to have the time to just hang out and chat for awhile. It was a little thing, but added something special to the day.


Once in Talladega, we found The Walk of Fame right near the main square and spent some time looking at the past Nascar greats. This is Elizabeth next to Jeff Gordan's plaque. Others that I recognized were Richard Petty, Dale Earnhardt and Dale Earnhardt Jr.



Truth be told, I've never watched a Nascar race and don't really know anything about it. Down the road it would be nice to take a tour of the raceway, but I really don't know anything about the sport so I'm not sure how much I could truly appreciate it.


In the main square is the oldest operating courthouse in Alabama, which was built in 1838.



We were hoping for a nice coffee shop in town but found nothing. Elizabeth had heard that McDonald's coffee was supposed to be rated very high among taste tests. I have had my doubts but decided to put it to the test today - due to lack of other options.


It didn't work out so well. It wasn't horrible, but did not compare to good coffee. In the future, I plan on getting a gps for the bike and this should help in locating a proper coffee house.


Instead of heading back to LaGrange after Talladega, we went North to Oxford. I had ridden up here before because I wanted to visit the Harley dealership. My last visit was during the gas shortage last year (2008) and there was only one gas station with gas. I couldn't find the dealership and it was a long way home with the small Sportster tank, so I had called off the search early. This time we found it and I had a good time looking at the new 2010 bikes and we enjoyed lunch on the picnic tables outside the building. The folks up there were real nice.


Elizabeth and I have really taken to Alabama. The roads we traveled today were beautiful and I love seeing the mountains so close. We took 431 back down to LaGrange and traveled by Cheaha State Park. There was a short area of construction that slowed us down a bit but other than that it was great.

Two more weeks before the Harley rally in Helen, GA. I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment